VE Day 1945 and sandwiches were the main order of the day during the street party celebrations, as was beer (that is, until it ran out in the pubs, well before the 10.30pm curfew!) But people wouldn’t have been celebrating the same as we do today. Wartime rationing meant sugar and butter were hard to come by, so this eggless fruitcakes would have been the next best thing!
1. Place the brown sugar, water, raisins, oil, cinnamon, and cloves in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil
2. Cook gently for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and let cool until the mixture is comfortably warm to your finger
3. While the mixture is cooling, preheat the oven to 180C / 350F
4. Grease and flour an 8×4-inch baking pan
5. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add them to the cooled sugar mixture, beating until no drifts of flour are visible and the batter is smooth. Then stir in the walnuts
6. Spread the mixture evenly in the baking tin and bake for 25-30 minutes
7. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto a rack to cool completely if you want to add a good glaze, save back bit of the hot spiced water and mix with icing sugar, a drop of vanilla, and a pinch salt. Glaze the cake while hot.
READY IN: 1hr SERVES: 15
Connect with us
View by date
As the pandemic restrictions start to ease, now’s the time to hit The Great Outdoors to shake off that lockdown lethargy So, with the softening of the Government’s health warnings, now’s the time to start planning where to feel the sand between your toes, and relish the breeze soothing sunburnt skin in the UK this …Read more...
A barbecue is a social event. A time to get together with friends and family under the hot sun and enjoy a meal Alfresco. Whether you are a BBQ aficionado or a BBQ newbie, our guide will help you pick the right equipment and provide you with some useful hints and tips. Charcoal or …Read more...
With the property market having been reopened for just over a month, new trends are starting to emerge… The latest stats from Rightmove have revealed new property trends for Brits as we start to move out of lockdown. The pandemic has made potential buyers rethink their priorities when it comes to a property with an …Read more...
Due to the Coronavirus lockdown, many highly anticipated films have been pushed back, but with cinemas due to reopen this week, we thought we’d look at the latest release dates for some of the biggest blockbusters this year… Mulan – 12th August Disney continues to rollout live-action remakes of their classics. This time around …Read more...
Liven up your summer with these refreshing ice cream recipes. Something for the kids to get involved in! Sugar-free strawberry and banana ice cream Serves 8 Ingredients: 300ml double cream 300ml whole milk 6 large egg yolks 1 vanilla pod, cut in half lengthways, seeds scraped out (or 2 teaspoons of vanilla bean paste) 500g …Read more...